Article last updated
I bought this freestanding punchbag last month, after becoming fed up of the gyms not opening. I spent more than I wanted to, but the other options had poor reviews and didn’t look vary stable.
The Gallant Free Standing Boxing Punch Bag is a perfect solution for those that are losing out on that valuable training time at the gym. The bag stands at over 5.5″ feet tall, great for training on punches at or above the mid-waist.
Freestanding Punchbag Overview
-Dimensions (HxWxD): 5’3” X 11” X 11“ (160 cm)
-Bag Fill Material: Solid Foam
-Net Weight: 52.9 Pounds (24 kg)
-Sand or Water Capacity: 44 Pounds (20 kg)
-Colors: White, Black, Red
-Accessories: Spanner, Bolts
How to Set Up The Gallant Free Standing Punch Bag
- The thing you need to do is determine the best possible location for this punchbag. Please remember, once you have this built and fully filled, it will we difficult to move.
- Add the feet suckers to the base and start filling with sand and water. You really need to fill the base with as much sand as possible and top up with water. Filling the base with sand is a tricky affair – the hole is too small and at a difficult angle. I made a cone from a piece of cardboard and added the sand via this funnel. It’s very time consuming and frustrating, but you can take your anger out on the punch bag when complete.
- Bolt on the bag to the base. When I bought this bag, I thought the bag would slot into the base and be easily removalable for storage. This is not the case.
- Test the bag. Hit the bag in various positions and see if the bases rocks. I started with vary little sand and mainly water, the base was really tipping – especially with teep kicks.
Best Place to Position the Gallant Free Standing Punch Bag
You want plenty of room to move around the freestanding bag for punching (and kicking if doing MMA style training). I didn’t have enough space in my house, so actually have it outside – the ideal location would be in a garage.
Obviously the bag would not be waterproof, so I ended up buying a waterproof cover for it. Gallant don’t make covers, so measured the bag and bought a cover for a chimenea – which ended up being a perfect fit.
The Punch Bag
Tough PU Faux leather covers the exterior of the punch bag. This material is strong enough to resist hard punches, and the texture prevents your boxing gloves from slipping around the bag. Double stitching keeps the bag together, even when you punch the stitches head-on.
Underneath the PU leather is a high-density EPE foam. This 2-inch foam gives you the resistance you need while protecting your hand and wrists from the impact. EPE is a semi-rigid foam, which is non-abrasive, and will not rub apart the stitches of the bag from the inside.
Beyond the EPE foam is a thick core of microfiber packing. This microfibre dissipates the remaining force from a punch and prevents excessive recoil. The pieces can compress and reform fast — and unlike sand, microfiber packing works even with high-speed punches.
Editors Note: This bag is very tough, you may hurt your wrist if you don’t wear gloves and hit the bag cleanly. I use MMA fingerless gloves which don’t provide the best padding on your knuckles, so need to go easy.
Colors and Patterns
Gallant makes this freestanding punch bag in a variety of patterns and colors — to better fit the fighting sport you are training for.
The white bag is great for those practicing martial arts. This bag has a dragon motif and black stitching, great for punches and kicks.
The black bag has 6 numbered targets, to represent the center and upper-mass areas of an opponent. This is the bag I opted for and is great for testing accuracy.
The red bag has inverted colors, with the main section in red and the targets in black.
The base for the punch bag is solid high-density polyethylene, which comes as a separate delivery package due to size. You can fill the base with up to 44 pounds of either sand or water to make the bag feel planted, and you still have the choice of moving it around.
The base is easy to wipe clean at the end of a training session and rounded for safety. A spanner and a set of bolts come with the bag. And the new owner will need to attach the base to the neck of the bag before they can begin using it.
The connector stand has a thick rubber-neck, which helps to absorb some impact and reduce strain on your wrists.
Neither the base nor the rest of the bag collapses. So, once you have attached the base to the bag, you will not want to take it apart again to store it. Though you can remover the bag from the neck, so you can bring the bag inside and leave the base out in the rain.
What We Like:
- Strong PU leather texture bag material.
- The bag can lift away from the base for ease of storage.
- A strong rubber-neck.
- Deep base with plenty of volume for ballast.
- Numbered targets for disciplined training.
- Best freestanding punchbag on the market
What We Don’t Like:
- The base is a pain in the arse to fill, you have been warned!
- The base is difficult to move once the ballast is in.
- It does not come with gloves.
- Ideal if you are small, but if you are 6ft choose the taller option
Conclusion: Is the Gallant Free Standing Punch Bag Worth Buying?
This is a heavy freestanding punch bag, and it comes in two deliveries because of its size. The bag is full of solid material, so there is no way that you can reduce its size for storage.
The same goes for the base — which, when full of water or sand, is near impossible to move. And emptying the base each time you want to move it is going to be a mess.
If you have the space to leave the base in place, then this is a fantastic punch bag. The sturdy base means you are not chasing the bag around your home with each punch. And the rubberized neck gives you the right amount of feedback to make it feel like you have an opponent.
Some owners have had boxing gloves sent to them with the bag — it may depend on how generous the retailer feels at the time.
If you enjoy boxing or martial arts, Gallant’s freestanding boxing bag is a fantastic way to train. And if social distancing is getting old — this bag will help you to exercise out those frustrations.