Quick AnswerBest Topper by Materialist
Silentnight Impress 5cm Topper
Memory foam topper mattresses are the perfect buy if you are not 100% comfortable with your current mattress. They add an additional layer to help support your sleeping positions and relieve pressure from key areas of the body that can suffer from pain.
Full memory foam mattresses can be expensive, so a cheaper option is to buy a standard mattress and just add a memory foam topper, but it depends what you are buying a topper for.
Recently, I have been sleeping a lot on a pull-out sofa bed, as I wake up every single night from my wife snoring and kicking, she suffers from restless leg syndrome which means she lifts her legs up and slams them down during her sleep. I tend to move to the pre-made up sofa bed around 2am. After a couple of weeks of this my back is in agony, due to the mattress being about 5 cm thick – they are not meant for sleeping on every night. So, I started the quest to find a cheap memory foam topper which I could place on top.
The Importance of sleep
If you are into health and fitness, you will have read about the importance of a good night’s sleep. Recently there has been an explosion in research findings showing the benefits a good nights sleep can do for you. Here’s just a few of the findings:
-Improved concentration during the day, you can get more stuff done
-Reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes
-Reduces the likelihood of depression
-Good sleep can help your immunity and also helps your metabolism.
Why memory Foam?
Memory foam molds to your body shape and fully supports your body. It was developed in 1966 by a NASA research team as they needed something to help their astronauts with undue pressures during their sleep. Memory foam was then made public in the 80s and first used commercially in mattresses by a Swedish company called Fagerdala World Foams.
The support memory foam provides helps your spine align correctly while you sleep and allows good blood flow around you body. Normal mattresses can create pressure points, restricting blood flow and causing aches and pains.
After much research, here are some of the best memory foam mattress toppers on the market. I reviewed all the best products on Amazon as they have the most competitive prices. Some John Lewis’ memory foam toppers were twice the price.
Silentnight 2.5cm Memory Foam Topper
- One Silentnight impress memory foam topper, double size, 135 x 190 x 5 cm
- 2.5 cm layer of soft and reactive memory foam that moulds to the contours of your body to provide support for a better quality of sleep
- Designed to rejuvenate your existing mattress
- Hypoallergenic, comes with a removable machine washable polyester cover to keep your topper feeling fresh after every wash
- 2 years manufacturer's guarantee
Silentnight is a UK based company that have been making handmade mattresses for 70 years. I really like the idea of sleeping on a UK made mattress and not some smelly, unsafe mattress made by a 10 year old in China.
Reading through Silentnight’s about us page makes for good reading, they have won numerous Which? Awards for making the best mattress for the last 3 years. Silentnight also have strong ethical and environmental credentials: they are a member of the Ethical Trading Initiative and the British Manufacturers Trade Association.
This 2 cm memory foam topper has over 600 reviews, 84% being 4 or 5 stars out of Amazon 5 star review system.
This memory foam topper comes in various sizes to fit standard double beds along with king size and super-king size mattresses. You can also buy a thicker toppers of 5cm and 7 cm, above the standard 2.5cm.
Umi by Amazon - Memory Foam Topper with 7 Zone support
- Lightweight mattress topper made of AirCell open-cell memory foam for ultra-plush (cloud-like) comfort
- 7 support zones help relieve pressure points, which promotes less uncomfortable tossing and turning, plus can help reduce joint and arthritic pain and sciatica flare-ups
- Designed to keep you comfortably cool throughout the night, the topper's open-cell structure helps regulate temperature for a cooler, drier, healthier sleep
- Breathable cover with a 3D air layer includes antimicrobial and hypoallergenic properties for protection against allergens; removable for easy washing
- For safety, foam is 100% Certipur-US certified (less VOC emissions); mattress topper measures 90 by 200 by 6 cm; 10-year limited warranty
Umi is one of Amazon’s own brands, yes they also manufacture products if you didn’t know this already – by placing their products high in their search algorithm will greatly increase their profit margin. This does not mean the products are going to be poor quality, but they will be very competitively priced.
The Umi Mattress topper is the product I purchased for my sofa bed and it has improved by sleep 100%. I no longer wake up in pure agony. I have not even tried this on our main mattress yet.
This memory foam mattress topper is designed to relieve pressure on 7 of the major areas where your body makes contact with the mattress when you sleep. It also stays cooler by regulating heat, getting too hot will make you toss and turn like I do most nights.
This topper mattress comes in 3 sizes: 90 x 200, 160 x 200 and 180 x 200cms. Grab a measuring tape and do a quick measure up of your current mattress, you wouldn’t want the wife being half on/half off while you sleep soundly.
The Umi topper is Certipur-US certified for safety (not entirely sure if this is recognized in the UK) and has a 10 year limited warranty. The product weighs 3.9kg and can be easily rolled up if you are using on a temporary bed. It makes the mattress topper easy to store. We keep ours under the stairs.
2” memory Foam Topper Mattress by Southern Foam
- UK made memory foam
- Eminent pressure relieving properties
- Add a layer of comfortable memory foam to your existing mattress
- Mattress topper is supplied folded and roll packed for convenience - the mattress topper should be removed fully from the box and secondary plastic packaging and ensure that the topper is laid flat in the bed for a few hours to allow it to expand to the correct size
This memory foam topper supplied by Southern Foam is an Amazon Choice product, it is the cheapest topper mattress we have reviewed at under £40.00.
Unlike Silentnight, I cannot find any information on ‘Southern Foam’ and not sure if it’s another Amazon brand. Still the topper has had over 2000 reviews, 83% of them being 4 or 5 stars out of 5.
The mattress comes in all the expected sizes and they also do a single memory foam mattress topper which many companies do not make. This single mattress is 190 x 90 cm.
Mattress toppers that are not made of memory foam
- Airmax mattress topper, size 135 x 190 cm
- Airmesh side walls increase air circulation and breathability
- 3 cm deep dual layer rejuvenates your existing mattress
- Machine washable at 40 degree celsius and covered in microfibre for ideal recovery
- Two years manufacturer's guarantee
Memory Foam Topper FAQ
Most frequent questions and answers
No, many have additional cooling designs.
No, you can buy a good topper for under £50
Can memory foam mattresses be used as a temporary bed on the floor?
Yes, but you will not have a great nights sleep.