Crypto currency is an extremely promising investing and technological tool that is taking the world by storm! This completely digital form of currency can be stored in what are called wallets. There are two types of wallets, digital wallets and hardware wallets. Digital wallets as the name suggests is a completely digital wallet that stores all of your crypto’s in a non-physical location. The other type is a hardware wallet, which is a physical wallet which stores your digital currency in a secure hardware location. That being said, the hardware wallets have quite a few advantages over digital wallets, including being more secure, immune to computer viruses, and you don’t have to worry about forgetting your wallet address.
Top 3 Best Hardware Wallets for Crypto and Reviews
Having a quality hardware wallet can put your mind at ease and keep your crypto safe. That being said there are quite a few different hardware wallets on the market, and it can be difficult to select which one is the best for your needs. Thankfully, over the past year or so I have had the liberty to try out a handful of these wallets and below you will find my top 3 choices and a quick review of each wallet!
Ledger Nano S Crypto Currency Hardware Wallet Review
- Check and confirm transactions on the display and confirm with using the physical buttons (anti-malware second factor)
- Your confidential data is never exposed: it is secured inside a strongly isolated environment locked by a PIN code
- Use companion apps such as cryptocurrencies wallets, and also FIDO U2F, GPG, SSH or build your own applications
- Ledger Nano S supports the FIDO Universal Second Factor authentication standard on Google, Dropbox, GitHub or Dashlane
- Your accounts are backed up on a recovery sheet. Easy restoration on any Ledger device or compatible wallets (BIP39/BIP44)
To start off our list, we have one of the first hardware wallets to become popular on the market, and one that really changed how people thought about crypto security. Manufactured from a French startup this small little wallet features an extremely sleek design with OLED display.
With a design that is about the size of a flash drive, you are given a device that is capable of securely storing Bitcoin, Ethereum and 23 other Alt coins – making it the top-rated hardware wallet on the market. This hardware wallet is also immune to viruses and leaks because all of your data is saved in an isolated environment that is locked by a pin code that only you can physically enter. Along with this, the Ledger Nano S features a backup seed which allows you to recover your crypto if you somehow lose them so you never have to worry.
This small device is navigated by two small buttons on the side that allows you to navigate through the OLED interface. From this interface you can check and confirm transactions, and then confirm, all from a physical location separate from your computer.
Overall this Ledger Nano S Crypto Currency Hardware Wallet was one of the first on the market, and it is still an extremely high-quality option for a hardware wallet. This device is extremely portable, while maintaining a high level of security. Featured with its backup recovery, it makes it a great option for anyone looking for a crypto hardware wallet.
If you are concerned about buying from 3rd parties on Amazon, they buy direct from Ledger.
Trezor Crypto Currency Hardware Wallet Review
- The most trusted and secure way to store your Bitcoins, Dash, Litecoin, Zcash and Ether (via MyEtherWallet)
- Isolate your private keys into the safety of TREZOR and enjoy Bitcoin without risk.
- TREZOR is a USB 2.0 device compatible with Windows, Linux and OS X (10.8 or higher).
The second wallet on our list is the Trezor Crypto Currency Hardware Wallet. This slightly larger designed wallet (While still smaller than a pocket calculator) wallet prides itself on its security and ease of use. This wallet features the ability to be used from Windows, OS X, Linux, and Android.
Similar to the Ledger Nano S, this Trezor hardware wallet features its own unique backup seed function which allows you to fully recover what is in your wallet incase you lose your wallet, or somehow lose access to it. This is a must have security feature which allows you to keep complete control of your crypto.
This physical wallet again features two small buttons on the front which allows you to select Yes or No to confirm transactions. To actually purchase coins, you will take the USB cable that is provided, and connect it to your computer or Mac. Another neat feature of this wallet is the ability to have secret or hidden wallets. That means you can have a public wallet, that anyone that uses your device can see, and you can have a hidden wallet which is invisible on your device until you enter a unique passcode. This acts as a buffer so you don’t draw too much attention from people that have access to your hardware wallet.
Overall the Trezor Hardware wallet is one of the best wallets available. It is a little larger than the Ledger Nano S, and slightly less high tech looking, but that can also be a bless in disguise. I personally prefer my wallet to blend in a little bit, it makes me feel like it’s less likely to be stolen.
KeepKey Crypto Hardware Wallet
- Bank-Grade Security that is Simple: KeepKey is the most secure bitcoin wallet available. It makes best-practice bitcoin security easy so that even your grandmother can protect her bitcoin wealth.
- Backup and Recovery: During initialization, you are given the one-time opportunity to write down a backup of your KeepKey in the form of a twelve-word recovery sentence. If your KeepKey is lost or stolen, you can safely recover your device and its bitcoins without compromising the security of your private keys.
- Virus and Malware Proof: Because KeepKey does not have an operating system, the layers that viruses, malware, and key loggers infect do not exist on the device. Using KeepKey gives you confidence that hackers can't get to your bitcoins.
- Multi-Currency Support: KeepKey not only supports Bitcoin, but also Testnet, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, and Dash.
- Works on PC, Mac, Linux, and Android: KeepKey is a USB HID-class device. That means, like a typical mouse or keyboard, drivers are not required. Plug in the provided premium USB cable, and your device just works: immediately giving you the highest level of bitcoin security.
The final wallet on our list is the KeepKey Crypto Hardware Wallet. This is slightly different than both the Ledger and the Trezor because of its size, this wallet is about two or three times larger than the other two. This makes it a better option to keep in your office rather than to be carried around constantly.
This USB based wallet works on PC, Mac, Linux and Android with a simple plug in of the USB to your computer. The very first time you turn on this wallet you are given the option to create a twelve-word seed backup key to use incase you forget or lose your KeepKey. Currently the KeepKey is able to hold the following crypto’s; Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, and Testnet, with new coins being added all the time.
This wallet is a great option for crypto traders because of the easy to use design, and the manual action needed for transactions. This wallet features a large and easy to read OLED screen, with two buttons. One of these buttons is used for Yes and the other for No, for a crypto transaction to go through you have to manually press the Yes button. This is great to maintain complete control, and eliminate accidental transactions.
That being said, this wallet is extremely secure, and safely saves all of your private keys in a virus free location with PIN protection.
Overall the KeepKey is one of the best crypto hardware wallets on the market, but it is a bit larger than the other options. This is a great looking wallet that would be great in your office or around your house, but isn’t necessarily designed to be carried around with you all day. That being said, it is extremely secure, and it will keep your crypto safe, so it’s definitely worth the look!
Final Thoughts on Crypto Hardware Wallets
If you are serious about crypto currencies, then it’s time for you to start acting like it. You need a crypto hardware wallet to secure your coins, and maintain a high level of security. These hardware wallets are a one time purchase that will keep all of your wallets safe, secure, and also give you a recovery option as well!